Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    ICC decries latest US sanctions as ‘flagrant attack’ on court’s independence | International criminal court

    At 43, I was fit and happy. Then I developed a nasty – and very expensive – case of shingles | Arwa Mahdawi

    Camilla found it ‘difficult’ keeping king’s cancer diagnosis private before announcement | Queen Camilla

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube LinkedIn
    Naija Global News |
    Wednesday, August 19
    • Business
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Education
    • Social Issues
    • Technology
    • More
      • Crime & Justice
      • Environment
      • Entertainment
    Naija Global News |
    You are at:Home»Crime & Justice»ICC decries latest US sanctions as ‘flagrant attack’ on court’s independence | International criminal court
    Crime & Justice

    ICC decries latest US sanctions as ‘flagrant attack’ on court’s independence | International criminal court

    onlyplanz_80y6mtBy onlyplanz_80y6mtAugust 19, 2026004 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    ICC decries latest US sanctions as ‘flagrant attack’ on court’s independence | International criminal court
    People stand outside the international criminal court in The Hague, Netherlands, on 22 September 2025. Photograph: Piroschka Van De Wouw/Reuters
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    The international criminal court on Wednesday condemned the latest US sanctions targeting senior ICC staff, including its president, as a “flagrant attack” on the global tribunal’s independence and vowed to continue seeking justice for atrocities around the world.

    The state department announced Tuesday that it had hit ICC president Tomoko Akane, a Japanese national, and ICC senior trial lawyer Abdoulaye Seye, who is from Senegal, with sanctions that freeze any assets they have in US jurisdictions or come into contact with the US financial system.

    The Trump administration has now slapped sanctions on nine of the ICC’s 18 judges, both of its deputy prosecutors, its former chief prosecutor and one other prosecution office staffer, the court said. The US accuses the court of overstepping its mandate by investigating and seeking to prosecute senior military and political officials from countries, such as Israel and the United States, that are not members of the court.

    In a statement, the court said that when “judicial actors are threatened for applying the law, it is the international legal order itself that is placed at risk”. It said the court “will continue to fully discharge its mandate with independence and impartiality”.

    In a statement Tuesday, Marco Rubio, the US secretary of state, called the ICC “a corrupt and fatally politicized supranational court that has maliciously abused its authority and exceeded its mandate”.

    The move came weeks after Rubio announced that the US was launching a “sweeping campaign to dismantle the threat posed by the international criminal court to US sovereignty.”

    Rubio said he will pressure the court’s 125 member states to withdraw from the institution, sanction organizations that work with the court and ban staff from traveling to the United States.

    Since then, Venezuela and Chad have announced they plan to leave the court, bringing the number of countries to pull out of the court in the past year to five. It takes a year for a country’s decision to quit the court to be formalized.

    The sanctions can impact the daily lives of court officials. They prevent the ICC officials and their families from entering the United Statesand block their access to even basic financial services, making even going to a grocery store difficult.

    Canadian judge Kimberly Prost, who was sanctioned last year, lost access to her credit cards, and Amazon’s Alexa stopped responding to her. “Your whole world is restricted,” she told the Associated Press after she was targeted.

    The court’s oversight body, the assembly of states parties, called the sanctions an “escalation” that “risks undermining ongoing investigations and impeding global efforts” to ensure justice reaches victims of global atrocities.

    Japan also criticized the US move.

    “The announced measures are very unfortunate,” Toshihiro Kitamura, press secretary at Japan’s foreign ministry, said in a statement Wednesday.

    Japan has consistently supported the ICC in its efforts to prosecute and punish the most serious crimes of concern to the international community and to uphold the rule of law, he said. “Japan will remain committed to strengthening the rule of law in the international community, while maintaining communication with related countries.”

    Yuichiro Tamaki, leader of the Japanese opposition democratic party for the people, wrote on X that Trump’s sanctions were “outrageous and intolerable”. He urged prime minister Sanae Takaichi’s government to show its support for the ICC and reach out to the US government to “have it retract this unjust sanction”.

    Balkees Jarrah, Middle East and north Africa director at Human Rights Watch, called the sanctions “the latest example of the Trump administration’s utter contempt for international law and a naked attempt to shield American and Israeli officials implicated in serious crimes from justice.”

    Human Rights Watch and three other groups sued the Trump administration last week to challenge its campaign against the ICC. The complaint, filed in the southern district of New York, said Trump’s executive order last year targeting The Hague-based criminal court and the US sanctions issued against a UN human rights expert and three Palestinian rights groups represent a “blatantly illegal attack on international justice and should be struck down”, according to a press release.

    attack Court Courts Criminal decries flagrant ICC independence International latest sanctions
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleAt 43, I was fit and happy. Then I developed a nasty – and very expensive – case of shingles | Arwa Mahdawi
    onlyplanz_80y6mt
    • Website

    Related Posts

    US sanctions international criminal court president and prosecutor | US news

    August 18, 2026

    Andy Burnham should resist populist pressure on jail sentences | Prisons and probation

    August 18, 2026

    ‘Preserve the stuff we own’: how right-to-repair laws are surging across the US | US news

    August 17, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    The science influencers going viral on TikTok to fight misinformation

    February 17, 20262 Views

    How Paul Newby Made North Carolina a Blueprint for Conservative Courts — ProPublica

    October 30, 20251 Views

    Watch Lady Gaga’s Perform ‘Vanish Into You’ on ‘Colbert’

    September 9, 20251 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Latest Reviews

    At Chile’s Vera Rubin Observatory, Earth’s Largest Camera Surveys the Sky

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    SpaceX Starship Explodes Before Test Fire

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    How the L.A. Port got hit by Trump’s Tariffs

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

    Most Popular

    The science influencers going viral on TikTok to fight misinformation

    February 17, 20262 Views

    How Paul Newby Made North Carolina a Blueprint for Conservative Courts — ProPublica

    October 30, 20251 Views

    Watch Lady Gaga’s Perform ‘Vanish Into You’ on ‘Colbert’

    September 9, 20251 Views
    Our Picks

    ICC decries latest US sanctions as ‘flagrant attack’ on court’s independence | International criminal court

    At 43, I was fit and happy. Then I developed a nasty – and very expensive – case of shingles | Arwa Mahdawi

    Camilla found it ‘difficult’ keeping king’s cancer diagnosis private before announcement | Queen Camilla

    Recent Posts
    • ICC decries latest US sanctions as ‘flagrant attack’ on court’s independence | International criminal court
    • At 43, I was fit and happy. Then I developed a nasty – and very expensive – case of shingles | Arwa Mahdawi
    • Camilla found it ‘difficult’ keeping king’s cancer diagnosis private before announcement | Queen Camilla
    • Poor sleep can cost over-50s nine months of career, study finds | Work & careers
    • Introducing Ulez was my hardest decision as mayor of London – but now we know its astonishing impact | Sadiq Khan
    © 2026 naijaglobalnews. Designed by Pro.
    • About Us
    • Disclaimer
    • Get In Touch
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.