Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Workers racing to turn reflecting pool blue for Trump may be at risk, union warns | Washington DC

    Two-thirds of NHS nurses believe lack of staff is putting patients at risk, survey finds | Nursing

    France’s top film producer says it will blacklist figures who petitioned against rightwing billionaire | Movies

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube LinkedIn
    Naija Global News |
    Monday, May 18
    • Business
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Education
    • Social Issues
    • Technology
    • More
      • Crime & Justice
      • Environment
      • Entertainment
    Naija Global News |
    You are at:Home»Health»Resident doctors accuse Keir Starmer of sabotaging talks to end pay and jobs dispute | NHS
    Health

    Resident doctors accuse Keir Starmer of sabotaging talks to end pay and jobs dispute | NHS

    onlyplanz_80y6mtBy onlyplanz_80y6mtApril 1, 2026004 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Resident doctors accuse Keir Starmer of sabotaging talks to end pay and jobs dispute | NHS
    Keir Starmer making a local elections pitch in Milton Keynes on Wednesday. The prime minister has urged resident doctors to accept the government’s pay deal. Photograph: Stefan Rousseau/PA
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Resident doctors have accused Keir Starmer of damaging the prospects of a deal to end their pay and jobs dispute by threatening to cut 1,000 new jobs for medics in the NHS.

    The claim from the British Medical Association leaders came just before the Thursday deadline given by the prime minister for the union to accept the government’s final offer.

    Barring a late change of heart by the BMA, resident doctors in England will stage a six-day strike from 7am on Tuesday. The union’s resident doctors committee last week rejected the government’s detailed plan to end their long-running dispute.

    It included a pledge to increase the number of places available in specialist medical training by up to 4,500 over the next three years to help more early-career doctors start training in their chosen speciality. About 1,000 doctors were due to step into those roles from this August.

    However, Wes Streeting, the health secretary, has told the BMA that those 1,000 extra slots in specialist training will be scrapped unless it accepts the deal.

    Talks will continue on Thursday aimed at averting next week’s strike. But there is little optimism on either side that it will be called off. NHS bosses fear it will severely disrupt services, especially as it will fall during the Easter school holidays when many staff will be off.

    Dr Jack Fletcher, the chair of the BMA’s resident doctors committee, wrote in a letter to the health secretary on Wednesday: “The political rhetoric – threatening to remove training places – coupled with the way the government has communicated the offer, has needlessly and avoidably inflamed the dispute, ultimately pushing the chance of a deal further away. A final offer followed by threats that parts of the offer may be withdrawn is not the way to end this dispute.”

    The threat to remove 1,000 of the 4,500 jobs has heightened fears among residents that they will not be able to progress into specialist training this year, he added.

    Starmer wrote in the Times on Tuesday that the BMA would be reckless if it did not accept the government’s “historic deal”. Rejection would also mean resident doctors miss out on an above-inflation pay rise this year.

    Starmer gave the union until Thursday to rethink its position and accept the offer. Streeting also wrote to all of England’s 75,000 resident doctors advising them to accept.

    The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) did not immediately respond to Fletcher’s letter, which outlines the issues on which the BMA and government remain far apart. They include whether resident doctors should receive £700m extra in “progression pay” over one, two or three years – and the BMA’s demand for pay deals until 2029 to insulate them from the effects of inflation.

    The BMA opened a new front against the government this week by deciding to ballot other types of hospital doctor, including consultants, about striking over “inadequate”pay and threatening to coordinate strikes.

    A DHSC spokesperson said: “It is disappointing that the BMA has decided to press ahead with strikes next week, despite conversations we have been having in recent days in a bid to protect the NHS from strikes.

    “This government offered resident doctors a generous deal to improve their pay, career progression and working lives that would have seen resident doctors on average 35.2% better off than they were four years ago.

    “Because the BMA resident doctors committee has not agreed to call off these strikes and put an offer to members, we will now not be able to deliver the 1,000 extra training places which the BMA asked for.”

    “These posts would have gone live this month, but as systems now need to prepare for strikes and more uncertainty, it simply won’t be operationally or financially possible to launch these posts in April in time to recruit for this year – this won’t impact the overall number of resident doctors and the NHS will be there for patients when they need it.”

    accuse dispute doctors jobs Keir NHS pay resident sabotaging Starmer Talks
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleMaps: How Much Have Gas Prices Risen Across The U.S.?
    Next Article Naturopathic Medicine College Programs Face Uncertain Future
    onlyplanz_80y6mt
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Two-thirds of NHS nurses believe lack of staff is putting patients at risk, survey finds | Nursing

    May 18, 2026

    Campaigners threaten legal action over UK-US deal on prices NHS pays for drugs | National Institute for Health and Care Excellence

    May 18, 2026

    Illness narratives are broken – and they’re failing women like me | Emma Hardy

    May 17, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Watch Lady Gaga’s Perform ‘Vanish Into You’ on ‘Colbert’

    September 9, 20251 Views

    Advertisers flock to Fox seeking an ‘audience of one’ — Donald Trump

    July 13, 20251 Views

    A Setback for Maine’s Free Community College Program

    June 19, 20251 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Latest Reviews

    At Chile’s Vera Rubin Observatory, Earth’s Largest Camera Surveys the Sky

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    SpaceX Starship Explodes Before Test Fire

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    How the L.A. Port got hit by Trump’s Tariffs

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

    Most Popular

    Watch Lady Gaga’s Perform ‘Vanish Into You’ on ‘Colbert’

    September 9, 20251 Views

    Advertisers flock to Fox seeking an ‘audience of one’ — Donald Trump

    July 13, 20251 Views

    A Setback for Maine’s Free Community College Program

    June 19, 20251 Views
    Our Picks

    Workers racing to turn reflecting pool blue for Trump may be at risk, union warns | Washington DC

    Two-thirds of NHS nurses believe lack of staff is putting patients at risk, survey finds | Nursing

    France’s top film producer says it will blacklist figures who petitioned against rightwing billionaire | Movies

    Recent Posts
    • Workers racing to turn reflecting pool blue for Trump may be at risk, union warns | Washington DC
    • Two-thirds of NHS nurses believe lack of staff is putting patients at risk, survey finds | Nursing
    • France’s top film producer says it will blacklist figures who petitioned against rightwing billionaire | Movies
    • Campaigners threaten legal action over UK-US deal on prices NHS pays for drugs | National Institute for Health and Care Excellence
    • David Lammy promises 25% cut in number of children jailed while they await trial | UK criminal justice
    © 2026 naijaglobalnews. Designed by Pro.
    • About Us
    • Disclaimer
    • Get In Touch
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.