Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    France’s top film producer says it will blacklist figures who petitioned against rightwing billionaire | Movies

    Campaigners threaten legal action over UK-US deal on prices NHS pays for drugs | National Institute for Health and Care Excellence

    David Lammy promises 25% cut in number of children jailed while they await trial | UK criminal justice

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube LinkedIn
    Naija Global News |
    Monday, May 18
    • Business
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Education
    • Social Issues
    • Technology
    • More
      • Crime & Justice
      • Environment
      • Entertainment
    Naija Global News |
    You are at:Home»Business»France’s top film producer says it will blacklist figures who petitioned against rightwing billionaire | Movies
    Business

    France’s top film producer says it will blacklist figures who petitioned against rightwing billionaire | Movies

    onlyplanz_80y6mtBy onlyplanz_80y6mtMay 18, 2026003 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    France’s top film producer says it will blacklist figures who petitioned against rightwing billionaire | Movies
    The director and photographer Raymond Depardon, the actor-director Juliette Binoche and the French-Iranian filmmaker Sepideh Farsi were among more than 600 who signed the open letter. Composite: Getty Images
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    The head of France’s biggest film producer, Canal+, has said the group will no longer work with hundreds of cinema figures who signed a petition voicing concern over the growing influence of the rightwing billionaire owner Vincent Bolloré.

    The open letter, published earlier this week to coincide with the opening of the Cannes film festival, was signed by more than 600 figures, including the actor-director Juliette Binoche, the director and photographer Raymond Depardon, the French-Iranian film-maker Sepideh Farsi and the director Arthur Harari, who co-wrote the Oscar-winning Anatomy of a Fall and is premiering his film The Unknown in the main competition in Cannes.

    They said that “leaving French cinema in the hands of a far-right owner” risked “not only the standardisation of films, but a fascist takeover of the collective imagination”.

    Bolloré, a conservative industrialist, has a powerful media empire, which includes Canal+ and its in-house production operation, StudioCanal, which is Europe’s leading film and television production and distribution group. StudioCanal’s recent films include the Amy Winehouse biopic Back to Black and Paddington in Peru.

    Vincent Bolloré at a French senate hearing into public broadcasting neutrality and financing in March. Photograph: Gonzalo Fuentes/Reuters

    He also owns the channel CNews, the radio station Europe 1 and the Sunday paper Le Journal du Dimanche.

    Speaking in Cannes on Sunday, the Canal+ chief executive, Maxime Saada, called the petition “an injustice toward the Canal+ teams, who are committed to defending the independence of Canal+ and the full diversity of its choices”.

    He added: “I will no longer work with and I no longer want Canal to work with the people who signed that petition.”

    In the open letter, the film industry figures said they were alarmed that Canal+ had taken a stake in UGC, the third-biggest network of French cinemas, with a view to fully owning it in 2028. They said Bolloré would be “in the position of controlling the entire fabrication chain of films from their financing to their distribution and their release on the big and small screen”.

    They said that “behind his business suit”, Bolloré was promoting a reactionary, far-right project for society “through his TV stations like CNews and his publishing houses” and they feared this could extend to film.

    “The influence of [his] ideological offensive on the content of films has so far been discreet, but we are under no illusion: this won’t last,” they wrote.

    The tumult mirrors similar upheaval in the publishing industry. In an unprecedented move last month, more than 100 writers quit the publishing house Grasset in protest at Bolloré’s control of its parent company, Hachette. “We refuse to be hostages in an ideological war that seeks to impose authoritarianism everywhere in culture and the media,” the authors wrote.

    In a sign of Bollore’s divisive reputation, the Canal+ logo was booed in Cannes at some screenings this year, including for the opening film, The Electric Kiss.

    In a senate hearing in 2022, Bolloré denied political or ideological interventionism, saying his interest in acquiring media was purely financial and his cultural empire was about promoting French soft power.

    After last month’s authors’ revolt over his publishing business, Bolloré wrote in Le Journal du Dimanche that those who had quit were “a tiny caste who think themselves above everyone else”. He said: “As for the attacks concerning my ‘ideology’, I’m a Christian democrat.”

    Billionaire blacklist figures Film Frances movies petitioned Producer rightwing Top
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleCampaigners threaten legal action over UK-US deal on prices NHS pays for drugs | National Institute for Health and Care Excellence
    onlyplanz_80y6mt
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Fake lawyers, scientists, chefs and punters: meet the ‘white monkeys’ paid to make Chinese businesses look global | Life and style

    May 16, 2026

    CBS News insiders fear Bari Weiss will soon enact ‘massive changes’ to 60 Minutes | CBS

    May 16, 2026

    High-stakes courtroom drama of Musk v OpenAI hears closing arguments | OpenAI

    May 16, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Watch Lady Gaga’s Perform ‘Vanish Into You’ on ‘Colbert’

    September 9, 20251 Views

    Advertisers flock to Fox seeking an ‘audience of one’ — Donald Trump

    July 13, 20251 Views

    A Setback for Maine’s Free Community College Program

    June 19, 20251 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Latest Reviews

    At Chile’s Vera Rubin Observatory, Earth’s Largest Camera Surveys the Sky

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    SpaceX Starship Explodes Before Test Fire

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    How the L.A. Port got hit by Trump’s Tariffs

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

    Most Popular

    Watch Lady Gaga’s Perform ‘Vanish Into You’ on ‘Colbert’

    September 9, 20251 Views

    Advertisers flock to Fox seeking an ‘audience of one’ — Donald Trump

    July 13, 20251 Views

    A Setback for Maine’s Free Community College Program

    June 19, 20251 Views
    Our Picks

    France’s top film producer says it will blacklist figures who petitioned against rightwing billionaire | Movies

    Campaigners threaten legal action over UK-US deal on prices NHS pays for drugs | National Institute for Health and Care Excellence

    David Lammy promises 25% cut in number of children jailed while they await trial | UK criminal justice

    Recent Posts
    • France’s top film producer says it will blacklist figures who petitioned against rightwing billionaire | Movies
    • Campaigners threaten legal action over UK-US deal on prices NHS pays for drugs | National Institute for Health and Care Excellence
    • David Lammy promises 25% cut in number of children jailed while they await trial | UK criminal justice
    • Illness narratives are broken – and they’re failing women like me | Emma Hardy
    • Cassidy Loses Primary After Drawing Trump’s Ire
    © 2026 naijaglobalnews. Designed by Pro.
    • About Us
    • Disclaimer
    • Get In Touch
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.