Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Teenagers’ non-custodial sentences for rape under review, UK government says | Rape and sexual assault

    Waymo Pauses Service in 6 Cities After Cars Drive Into Floodwaters

    Suspected Ebola cases triple in a week as WHO warns of rapid spread in DRC | Global development

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube LinkedIn
    Naija Global News |
    Saturday, May 23
    • Business
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Education
    • Social Issues
    • Technology
    • More
      • Crime & Justice
      • Environment
      • Entertainment
    Naija Global News |
    You are at:Home»Crime & Justice»Teenagers’ non-custodial sentences for rape under review, UK government says | Rape and sexual assault
    Crime & Justice

    Teenagers’ non-custodial sentences for rape under review, UK government says | Rape and sexual assault

    onlyplanz_80y6mtBy onlyplanz_80y6mtMay 23, 2026003 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Teenagers’ non-custodial sentences for rape under review, UK government says | Rape and sexual assault
    Jess Phillips told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: ‘For those young women, going through a rape trial like this will not have been a simple thing to do.’ Photograph: Joe Giddens/PA
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    The government is urgently reviewing the “unduly lenient” sentences given to three teenage boys who avoided custody for the rape of two girls.

    The MP Jess Phillips, who was the minister for safeguarding and violence against women and girls before resigning this month, said that giving the boys youth rehabilitation orders sent a “bad message”.

    The government said it had received multiple requests for the sentences to be reviewed.

    The two girls were raped in two separate incidents in Fordingbridge, Hampshire, in November 2024 and January last year.

    In the first attack a 15-year-old girl was raped by two of the defendants, both aged 14 at the time.

    In the second assault, the three boys threatened a 14-year-old girl with a knife and two of them took it in turns to rape her while the others encouraged the offending and filmed the assaults.

    On Thursday, at Southampton crown court, two boys, both 15, were each sentenced to a three-year youth rehabilitation order and made subject to intensive supervision and surveillance (ISS). The third boy, 14, was given an 18-month youth rehabilitation order.

    Phillips told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “It seems unduly lenient to me and has wider public interest beyond just the case itself in the message that it sends.

    “For those young women, going through a rape trial like this will not have been a simple thing to do, it will have been many, many months, if not years, to achieve any sort of justice, and I am afraid to say it sends a bad message.

    “These young people, it seems, were essentially raping for content in order to put it on social media and share it to their friends, gloating about raping these poor young women.”

    Her criticisms of the sentences were echoed by the Hampshire police and crime commissioner, Donna Jones, who offered to support the families of the victims if they wished to appeal against the sentences.

    “This is an extremely disturbing case,” said Jones. “I’m deeply concerned these boys felt they could carry out such terrifying acts and share them online and not go to prison.

    “Their sentences reflect a clear focus on rehabilitation rather than criminalisation. They are far too lenient.

    “As they stand, they offer little comfort to their victims as they try to rebuild their lives after such harrowing experiences.

    “The education of young people about sexual violence and misogynistic attitudes is vitally important if we’re to prevent crimes like this from happening again.”

    A government spokesperson said the attorney general’s office had received “multiple” requests for the sentences to be reviewed under the unduly lenient sentences scheme.

    They added: “We share the public’s shock at the details of this horrific case, and our thoughts are with the young victims during this distressing time.

    “The law officers are urgently reviewing the case with the utmost care and attention.”

    The court heard one of the 15-year-old defendants had been diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder as well as “longstanding anxiety”, while the other had an IQ of the “bottom 1% of his contemporaries” and had also been diagnosed with ADHD.

    The 14-year-old was described as having “mild cognitive impairment”.

    Explaining the sentences in court, Judge Rowland said: “I should avoid criminalising these children unnecessarily and understand the effects of their behaviour and support their reintegration into society.”

    He added that “peer pressure played a large part in what went on”.

    The girl who was the victim of the second attack said in a statement that she continued to suffer from nightmares. “The person I was before the incident has completely gone and sometimes I feel like I am grieving the person I used to be,” she said.

    assault government noncustodial Rape Review sentences sexual teenagers
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleWaymo Pauses Service in 6 Cities After Cars Drive Into Floodwaters
    onlyplanz_80y6mt
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Waymo Pauses Service in 6 Cities After Cars Drive Into Floodwaters

    May 22, 2026

    Mahmoud Khalil’s attorneys to turn to US supreme court after ruling paves way for deportation | Mahmoud Khalil

    May 22, 2026

    Why This Ebola Outbreak Could Be One of the Worst

    May 22, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Watch Lady Gaga’s Perform ‘Vanish Into You’ on ‘Colbert’

    September 9, 20251 Views

    Advertisers flock to Fox seeking an ‘audience of one’ — Donald Trump

    July 13, 20251 Views

    A Setback for Maine’s Free Community College Program

    June 19, 20251 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Latest Reviews

    At Chile’s Vera Rubin Observatory, Earth’s Largest Camera Surveys the Sky

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    SpaceX Starship Explodes Before Test Fire

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    How the L.A. Port got hit by Trump’s Tariffs

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

    Most Popular

    Watch Lady Gaga’s Perform ‘Vanish Into You’ on ‘Colbert’

    September 9, 20251 Views

    Advertisers flock to Fox seeking an ‘audience of one’ — Donald Trump

    July 13, 20251 Views

    A Setback for Maine’s Free Community College Program

    June 19, 20251 Views
    Our Picks

    Teenagers’ non-custodial sentences for rape under review, UK government says | Rape and sexual assault

    Waymo Pauses Service in 6 Cities After Cars Drive Into Floodwaters

    Suspected Ebola cases triple in a week as WHO warns of rapid spread in DRC | Global development

    Recent Posts
    • Teenagers’ non-custodial sentences for rape under review, UK government says | Rape and sexual assault
    • Waymo Pauses Service in 6 Cities After Cars Drive Into Floodwaters
    • Suspected Ebola cases triple in a week as WHO warns of rapid spread in DRC | Global development
    • Mahmoud Khalil’s attorneys to turn to US supreme court after ruling paves way for deportation | Mahmoud Khalil
    • Why This Ebola Outbreak Could Be One of the Worst
    © 2026 naijaglobalnews. Designed by Pro.
    • About Us
    • Disclaimer
    • Get In Touch
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.