Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    New breed of political prisoner arises in Britain as anti-protest sentences rise | UK criminal justice

    From high BMI to the ‘GLP-1 look’: how weight-loss jabs are changing the face of beauty | Mona Lisa

    UK’s ‘anxious generation’ of young people struggling to adapt to workplace | Young people

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube LinkedIn
    Naija Global News |
    Saturday, May 23
    • Business
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Education
    • Social Issues
    • Technology
    • More
      • Crime & Justice
      • Environment
      • Entertainment
    Naija Global News |
    You are at:Home»Health»Suspected Ebola cases triple in a week as WHO warns of rapid spread in DRC | Global development
    Health

    Suspected Ebola cases triple in a week as WHO warns of rapid spread in DRC | Global development

    onlyplanz_80y6mtBy onlyplanz_80y6mtMay 22, 2026003 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Suspected Ebola cases triple in a week as WHO warns of rapid spread in DRC | Global development
    Medical staff carry an Ebola patient to a treatment centre in Rwampara, Congo, 21 May. There have been 177 suspected deaths from the disease so far. Photograph: Moses Sawasawa/AP
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo poses a “very high” risk to the country, the World Health Organization said on Friday, revising its threat assessment upwards.

    The outbreak is spreading rapidly, WHO leaders said, with almost 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths, up from 246 cases and 65 deaths when it was first reported a week earlier.

    The situation is “deeply worrisome”, said Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the WHO director-general.

    On Thursday, tents and medical supplies outside a hospital in Rwampara, Ituri province, were set on fire as medics tried to set up an Ebola treatment centre. A crowd was reportedly angry at not being allowed to retrieve the body of a local man who had died at the hospital. The bodies of Ebola patients must be buried according to strict infection control protocols to prevent further spread.

    Medical staff carry disinfectant to a hospital in Rwampara on 21 May. An Ebola treatment centre at the hospital was attacked on Thursday. Photograph: Seros Muyisa/AFP/Getty Images

    Tedros warned that “significant distrust of outside authorities among the local population” was causing issues for the response to the outbreak.

    “Building trust in the affected communities is critical to a successful response, and is one of our highest priorities,” Tedros said.

    The WHO’s representative in the DRC, Dr Anne Ancia, said the incident in Rwampara would “significantly jeopardise” the response operation there.

    The treatment centre that was attacked was designed to separate Ebola patients from others being treated in the same hospital. Ancia said she was hopeful that it would be able to be up and running again within 24 hours.

    The outbreak has been caused by the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, for which no vaccines or treatments exist. Most cases are in the DRC’s Ituri province, with a handful reported elsewhere in the country, and two in neighbouring Uganda.

    Rising case numbers may paradoxically be a “good sign”, indicating better detection, officials said. A slight fall in the number of samples testing positive suggests more people with potential symptoms are being picked up.

    However, Ancia said: “We are running behind, we are not yet under control.”

    She was confident, however, that the response would be successful.

    “I can guarantee you that together, we will manage to get over this outbreak as soon as we can,” she said.

    While the WHO raised its risk assessment for the DRC, it maintained its earlier assessment that there was a high risk at the regional level and low risk at the global level.

    Health workers disinfect an isolation ward at a hospital in Mongbwalu, DRC. A lack of staff and equipment is making the response more challenging. Photograph: Michel Lunanga/Getty Images

    Representatives of humanitarian organisations working in Ituri said they did not yet have enough resources to mount an adequate response.

    Dr Amadou Bocoum, country director for Care International in the DRC, said aid cuts last year meant “the system was not able to work properly because of lack of equipment”, while lower staff levels also made the labour-intensive work of informing cases and contact tracing harder.

    Julie Drouet, country director for Action Against Hunger, said: “Everyone is working to try to implement as quickly as possible … the response in the field, however it is not quite yet ready. It is not really yet up to the emergency that we have in Congo at the moment.”

    A WHO press briefing also heard that scientists had identified an antiviral drug, obeldesivir, which may be able to prevent contacts of Bundibugyo cases developing the disease, and were working to establish trials in the affected areas.

    Cases development DRC Ebola Global rapid spread suspected triple Warns week
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleMahmoud Khalil’s attorneys to turn to US supreme court after ruling paves way for deportation | Mahmoud Khalil
    Next Article Waymo Pauses Service in 6 Cities After Cars Drive Into Floodwaters
    onlyplanz_80y6mt
    • Website

    Related Posts

    From high BMI to the ‘GLP-1 look’: how weight-loss jabs are changing the face of beauty | Mona Lisa

    May 23, 2026

    UK’s ‘anxious generation’ of young people struggling to adapt to workplace | Young people

    May 23, 2026

    How Profit-Seeking Autism Clinics Can Harm Kids

    May 23, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Watch Lady Gaga’s Perform ‘Vanish Into You’ on ‘Colbert’

    September 9, 20251 Views

    Advertisers flock to Fox seeking an ‘audience of one’ — Donald Trump

    July 13, 20251 Views

    A Setback for Maine’s Free Community College Program

    June 19, 20251 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Latest Reviews

    At Chile’s Vera Rubin Observatory, Earth’s Largest Camera Surveys the Sky

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    SpaceX Starship Explodes Before Test Fire

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    How the L.A. Port got hit by Trump’s Tariffs

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

    Most Popular

    Watch Lady Gaga’s Perform ‘Vanish Into You’ on ‘Colbert’

    September 9, 20251 Views

    Advertisers flock to Fox seeking an ‘audience of one’ — Donald Trump

    July 13, 20251 Views

    A Setback for Maine’s Free Community College Program

    June 19, 20251 Views
    Our Picks

    New breed of political prisoner arises in Britain as anti-protest sentences rise | UK criminal justice

    From high BMI to the ‘GLP-1 look’: how weight-loss jabs are changing the face of beauty | Mona Lisa

    UK’s ‘anxious generation’ of young people struggling to adapt to workplace | Young people

    Recent Posts
    • New breed of political prisoner arises in Britain as anti-protest sentences rise | UK criminal justice
    • From high BMI to the ‘GLP-1 look’: how weight-loss jabs are changing the face of beauty | Mona Lisa
    • UK’s ‘anxious generation’ of young people struggling to adapt to workplace | Young people
    • How Profit-Seeking Autism Clinics Can Harm Kids
    • What is immunotherapy and how does it treat cancer and other conditions? | Immunology
    © 2026 naijaglobalnews. Designed by Pro.
    • About Us
    • Disclaimer
    • Get In Touch
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.