Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    How Sam Altman’s victory over Elon Musk clears way for OpenAI’s trillion-dollar ambitions | Technology

    Least fit people need to do more exercise than fittest to get same benefit – study | Fitness

    San Diego Mosque Shooting Victims Remembered as Heroes

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube LinkedIn
    Naija Global News |
    Wednesday, May 20
    • Business
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Education
    • Social Issues
    • Technology
    • More
      • Crime & Justice
      • Environment
      • Entertainment
    Naija Global News |
    You are at:Home»Crime & Justice»Police say extra funds to hunt grooming gangs in England and Wales will ‘likely fall short’ | Police
    Crime & Justice

    Police say extra funds to hunt grooming gangs in England and Wales will ‘likely fall short’ | Police

    onlyplanz_80y6mtBy onlyplanz_80y6mtMay 19, 2026005 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Police say extra funds to hunt grooming gangs in England and Wales will ‘likely fall short’ | Police
    The scale and complexity of the reviews involved are expected to require a significant number of officers over an extended period. Photograph: Robert Matton AB/Alamy
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Keir Starmer’s government has announced a near tenfold increase in funding for detectives hunting grooming gangs but has been warned by police that the amount will “likely fall short” of what is needed.

    Operation Beaconport, which was set up last year to review closed group-based sexual exploitation inquiries in England and Wales, will receive nearly £38m, a Home Office statement said – up from £4m given last year.

    The money will “likely fall short” of the amount needed to cover work to tackle group-based child exploitation, police sources have warned.

    The scale and complexity of the reviews involved are expected to require a significant number of officers over an extended period, the source said. The increased cash is not expected to cover the funding forces would need to meet the anticipated cost of a dedicated team, they added.

    In a separate development, the chair of the statutory inquiry into grooming gangs told MPs she would not be “squeamish” about tackling issues around the ethnicity and culture of the rapists involved.

    Anne Longfield: ‘We recognise that there’s no single type of survivor or perpetrator here.’ Photograph: Gary Calton/The Observer

    Asked about previous inquiries which found a disproportionate number of perpetrators were from Pakistani and Asian heritage communities, Anne Longfield told the home affairs select committee: “We’re setting out to understand and demonstrate what caused it, what allowed it to happen and what allowed it to continue to happen.

    “We’re not squeamish … we recognise that there’s no single type of survivor or perpetrator here, but we also know that answers can be sought there and delivered.”

    Lady Longfield’s inquiry has a maximum duration of three years and has a budget of £65m, which she told MPs was “doable”. “We think it is possible with the budget,” she said.

    Zoë Billingham, a panellist on the new inquiry, told MPs that police forces accused of failing grooming gang survivors should be open to third-party scrutiny.

    “We do not expect forces to be investigating themselves,” she said.

    The inquiry published its terms of reference earlier this year and is beginning its full investigation into the group-based sexual exploitation of children in England and Wales.

    It will have the legal powers to compel witnesses, including politicians, to give evidence and hand over documents.

    The prime minister is facing political pressure to tackle grooming gangs, which has become a key campaigning issue for Nigel Farage’s Reform UK in Labour’s heartlands.

    The extra money also follows the damning resignation last week of the Home Office minister Jess Phillips, who criticised Starmer for a lack of urgency and boldness in tackling online abuse.

    Responding to the announcement on Tuesday, Phillips said: “It is about time that both grooming gangs and all forms of child sexual abuse were seen as a priority that it is and this extra funding will go a long way to righting the historical wrongs … Now all our efforts must turn to preventing the harm from happening in the first place.”

    Ministers came under pressure over grooming gangs in January 2025 after the owner of X, Elon Musk, highlighted the government’s decision to refuse Oldham council’s request for a second national inquiry.

    Starmer announced in June that there would be a specific grooming gangs inquiry, but then struggled to set it up. The Guardian disclosed in October that the new inquiry had stalled amid wrangles over the remit and difficulties in finding a chair.

    Police forces will also be given £9m to buy AI technology to detect online abusers more rapidly as part of £100m of funds to tackle child sexual abuse.

    Police officers will also have access to a suite of “AI-enabled intelligence tools” under Home Office plans, helping them to analyse large datasets, translate foreign-language material, and identify patterns and relationships between suspects.

    The technology will allow forces to bring predators to justice “regardless of size or local resources”, the government said.

    Another £11.7m will pay for the Undercover Online Network, which targets predators in the dark web. The network tracks and identifies offenders, intervenes early and drives arrests and prosecutions. Its work helped safeguard 1,748 children between April 2024 and 2025, with 1,797 arrests also made.

    The home secretary, Shabana Mahmood, said: “The grooming gangs scandal is one of the darkest moments in our country’s history, where the most vulnerable people were abused and exploited at the hands of evil child rapists.

    “There will be no hiding place for the predatory monsters who committed unimaginable crimes of child sexual abuse [CSA] and exploitation. We will track down these vile rapists and put them behind bars.”

    The National Crime Agency’s Jav Oomer said: “We welcome the continued Home Office funding to support the NCA’s vital work in tackling the highest harm offenders, whether they operate in our communities or online, and will use the full force of our capabilities to protect children.

    “We continue to see the increasing complexity and severity of CSA offending, with offenders becoming more technologically sophisticated, but also producing more severe and more sadistic material.”

    England extra fall funds gangs Grooming Hunt police short Wales
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleSon of Mango fashion chain founder arrested in Spain over death of father | Spain
    Next Article Rubio criticizes WHO’s Ebola response as US continues sweeping public health cuts | Marco Rubio
    onlyplanz_80y6mt
    • Website

    Related Posts

    San Diego Mosque Shooting Victims Remembered as Heroes

    May 20, 2026

    The ICC’s investigation of its chief prosecutor has been a failure | Kenneth Roth

    May 19, 2026

    Tornado Rips Through Rural Community in Nebraska

    May 19, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Watch Lady Gaga’s Perform ‘Vanish Into You’ on ‘Colbert’

    September 9, 20251 Views

    Advertisers flock to Fox seeking an ‘audience of one’ — Donald Trump

    July 13, 20251 Views

    A Setback for Maine’s Free Community College Program

    June 19, 20251 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Latest Reviews

    At Chile’s Vera Rubin Observatory, Earth’s Largest Camera Surveys the Sky

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    SpaceX Starship Explodes Before Test Fire

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    How the L.A. Port got hit by Trump’s Tariffs

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

    Most Popular

    Watch Lady Gaga’s Perform ‘Vanish Into You’ on ‘Colbert’

    September 9, 20251 Views

    Advertisers flock to Fox seeking an ‘audience of one’ — Donald Trump

    July 13, 20251 Views

    A Setback for Maine’s Free Community College Program

    June 19, 20251 Views
    Our Picks

    How Sam Altman’s victory over Elon Musk clears way for OpenAI’s trillion-dollar ambitions | Technology

    Least fit people need to do more exercise than fittest to get same benefit – study | Fitness

    San Diego Mosque Shooting Victims Remembered as Heroes

    Recent Posts
    • How Sam Altman’s victory over Elon Musk clears way for OpenAI’s trillion-dollar ambitions | Technology
    • Least fit people need to do more exercise than fittest to get same benefit – study | Fitness
    • San Diego Mosque Shooting Victims Remembered as Heroes
    • Paramount expresses support for CBS News leader Bari Weiss amid criticism | CBS
    • Kylie Minogue announces she had second cancer diagnosis in 2021 | Kylie Minogue
    © 2026 naijaglobalnews. Designed by Pro.
    • About Us
    • Disclaimer
    • Get In Touch
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.