Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    ‘Billy’s thriving’: family’s joy as boy who helped legalise cannabis medicine in UK turns 21 | Health

    With ICC sanctions, Trump wants to make the world safe for war criminals | Kenneth Roth

    What is salmonella, how does it spread and are eggs safe to eat? | Health

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube LinkedIn
    Naija Global News |
    Saturday, August 22
    • Business
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Education
    • Social Issues
    • Technology
    • More
      • Crime & Justice
      • Environment
      • Entertainment
    Naija Global News |
    You are at:Home»Health»UK government axes flagship global health project | Global development
    Health

    UK government axes flagship global health project | Global development

    onlyplanz_80y6mtBy onlyplanz_80y6mtMarch 13, 2026004 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    UK government axes flagship global health project | Global development
    The Global Health Workforce Programme involved projects to strengthen national health systems in Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Malawi and Somaliland. Photograph: GWHP
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    A flagship health project in Africa, which UK ministers said would play a vital role in protecting Britain from future pandemic threats, is being axed due to aid cuts, the Guardian can reveal.

    The Global Health Workforce Programme (GHWP) which supported development and training for healthcare staff in six African countries, will close at the end of the month, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) said.

    “That is a genuinely historic decision, and the UK now risks ceding ground in global health that we will struggle to recover,” said Ben Simms, chief executive of Global Health Partnerships, which ran the programme.

    Since its launch, the GHWP has been highlighted by ministers and officials as an effort to boost global pandemic preparedness by strengthening national health systems, and a way to meet the UK’s moral obligations to invest in countries from which it recruits large numbers of staff for the NHS and social care.

    Similar programmes have run since 2008. The current scheme involved projects in Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Malawi and Somaliland. Its current three-year contract was due to end this month, but had been expected to be renewed, as with previous iterations.

    Renewing funding in 2023, under Rishi Sunak’s Conservative government, then health minister Will Quince said: “This funding aims to make a real difference in strengthening the performance of health systems in each of the participating countries, which will have a knock-on effect on boosting global pandemic preparedness and reducing health inequalities. The pandemic showed us that patients in the UK are not safe unless the world as a whole is resilient against health threats.”

    In one project, the Power for the People Africa Trust is funded through the programme to train staff to tackle gender-based violence and reduce linked teenage pregnancies and HIV infections in Kenya’s Homa Bay county.

    Acommunity health worker screening a patient in Ndiwa, Homa Bay County. Photograph: Simon Maina/AFP/Getty Images

    Caren Okombo of the trust said gains would reverse if funding stopped, adding: “New HIV infections in Homa Bay today: at some point these infections would cross borders. They would get to [Britain’s] population as well. So stopping them from where they start is something that should be of importance to a country like Britain.”

    However, the Labour government announced last year that it would reduce overseas aid funding from 0.5% to 0.3% of GDP in order to boost military spending. That followed an earlier cut under Boris Johnson’s premiership from 0.7%.

    The GHWP cut was revealed in a written answer to a parliamentary question asked by former development minister Sir Andrew Mitchell.

    FCDO minister Chris Elmore said the GHWP would close at the end of March.

    He said: “The UK should be proud of the progress made in international development this century. But the world has changed, and so must we. With less money, we must make choices and focus on greater impact.”

    Elmore said efforts were being made “to ensure the sustainability of projects beyond the programme’s lifetime” and that the government “remains committed to international development and will continue to support countries to build resilient, sustainable health systems”.

    A review by the Independent Commission for Aid Impact (ICAI) published this week found that the system for allocating official development assistance budgets in recent years was “not always based on shared strategic priorities or evidence of value for money”.

    In a statement, Global Health Partnerships said: “We understand the fiscal pressures that the government faces, but we are clear that cutting investment in health workforce development in low- and middle-income countries has real human consequences – and ultimately costs more in the long run.”

    Partnerships could not survive on goodwill alone, they added. “They require sustained investment and institutional commitment and once that thread is cut, it is very difficult to pick it back up.”

    The FCDO was approached for comment.

    Axes development flagship Global government Health project
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleUniversity Shooting Being Investigated as an Act of Terrorism, Officials Say
    Next Article UK energy prices are soaring – and propagandists want to sell you a false reason why | George Monbiot
    onlyplanz_80y6mt
    • Website

    Related Posts

    ‘Billy’s thriving’: family’s joy as boy who helped legalise cannabis medicine in UK turns 21 | Health

    August 22, 2026

    What is salmonella, how does it spread and are eggs safe to eat? | Health

    August 21, 2026

    Experts raise alarm over Trump’s public consultation on vaccines policy | Trump administration

    August 21, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    The science influencers going viral on TikTok to fight misinformation

    February 17, 20262 Views

    How Paul Newby Made North Carolina a Blueprint for Conservative Courts — ProPublica

    October 30, 20251 Views

    Watch Lady Gaga’s Perform ‘Vanish Into You’ on ‘Colbert’

    September 9, 20251 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Latest Reviews

    At Chile’s Vera Rubin Observatory, Earth’s Largest Camera Surveys the Sky

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    SpaceX Starship Explodes Before Test Fire

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    How the L.A. Port got hit by Trump’s Tariffs

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

    Most Popular

    The science influencers going viral on TikTok to fight misinformation

    February 17, 20262 Views

    How Paul Newby Made North Carolina a Blueprint for Conservative Courts — ProPublica

    October 30, 20251 Views

    Watch Lady Gaga’s Perform ‘Vanish Into You’ on ‘Colbert’

    September 9, 20251 Views
    Our Picks

    ‘Billy’s thriving’: family’s joy as boy who helped legalise cannabis medicine in UK turns 21 | Health

    With ICC sanctions, Trump wants to make the world safe for war criminals | Kenneth Roth

    What is salmonella, how does it spread and are eggs safe to eat? | Health

    Recent Posts
    • ‘Billy’s thriving’: family’s joy as boy who helped legalise cannabis medicine in UK turns 21 | Health
    • With ICC sanctions, Trump wants to make the world safe for war criminals | Kenneth Roth
    • What is salmonella, how does it spread and are eggs safe to eat? | Health
    • Home Office could be blocked from deporting trafficking victims to Albania | Immigration and asylum
    • Experts raise alarm over Trump’s public consultation on vaccines policy | Trump administration
    © 2026 naijaglobalnews. Designed by Pro.
    • About Us
    • Disclaimer
    • Get In Touch
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.