Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    I’m putting tech firms on notice: deal with the appalling abuse of women online – or we will deal with you | Keir Starmer

    Owner Wants to Give Away Green Mountain Campus

    NASA completes a critical test of Artemis II, with a launch to the moon now targeted for March 6

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube LinkedIn
    Naija Global News |
    Friday, February 20
    • Business
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Education
    • Social Issues
    • Technology
    • More
      • Crime & Justice
      • Environment
      • Entertainment
    Naija Global News |
    You are at:Home»Education»Five former education secretaries urge Labour MPs to back Send reforms | Special educational needs
    Education

    Five former education secretaries urge Labour MPs to back Send reforms | Special educational needs

    onlyplanz_80y6mtBy onlyplanz_80y6mtFebruary 20, 2026004 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Five former education secretaries urge Labour MPs to back Send reforms | Special educational needs
    David Blunkett was Tony Blair’s first education secretary, holding the post from 1997 to 2001. Photograph: Geoff Pugh/Shutterstock
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Five former education secretaries have made a joint appeal to Labour MPs to back the overhaul of special education provision in English schools, calling it “a once in a generation chance” to fix a failing system.

    The open letter is signed by David Blunkett, Estelle Morris, Charles Clarke, Ruth Kelly and Alan Johnson, who between them held the post for a decade from 1997.

    It comes ahead of the schools white paper, due to be published on Monday, which will set out proposals to transform the special educational needs and disabilities (Send) system, in what could be one of the defining policy challenges of Keir Starmer’s administration.

    Estelle Morris, education secretary 2001-2002. Photograph: Linda Nylind/The Guardian

    Downing Street is desperate to avoid any sort of rebellion, mindful that any repeat of the chaos which followed attempts to change benefits for disabled people could fatally undermine the prime minister’s authority.

    Charles Clarke, education secretary 2002-2004 Photograph: Dan Chung/The Guardian

    The proposed changes to Send have been received more positively by Labour MPs, not least because of the near-universal acceptance that the current system does not work.

    But a number remain nervous, particularly on areas including proposed changes to how children qualify for an education, health and care plan (EHCP), which legally entitles them to support.

    The letter by the former education secretaries sets out the political stakes.

    “As former Labour education ministers, we know that this really is a once in a generation chance to change a broken system for good, a unique opportunity to deliver better life chances for millions of children across our country,” says the letter, also signed by Jim Knight, an education expert who served as schools minister from 2006 to 2009.

    The changes to be set out by Bridget Phillipson, the education secretary, “will enshrine the importance of children being confident to attend their local mainstream school and develop friendships in their local community for life”, the letter says.

    “From our own experience, we know how hard it is to get reforms like these right,” the letter continues, saying the plan had been “painstakingly put together after more than 18 months of consultation”.

    They added: “We must not betray the millions of children across our country who deserve the best from their government, and their politicians.

    “These reforms will give those children more support, not less, after years of having the help they need supplied too little, too late, and too often not at all.

    “We urge all our colleagues and every Labour member to back those changes as ministers embark on the greatest reform this government has yet laid out.”

    Ruth Kelly (education secretary 2004-2006) meeting schoolchildren in 2006. Photograph: Reuters

    While there will be significant political focus on changes to EHCPs, with children expected to face a review when they move to secondary school, the wider focus of the white paper will be on better including children with all but the most severe needs in mainstream schools. The schools will receive support for this directly.

    One government source said: “There are MPs who are understandably nervous about all this, not least because of all the letters they get, but for the most part they like the direction of travel.

    Alan Johnson, education secretary 2006-2007. Photograph: Gary Calton/The Observer

    “And when they see the final proposals, they will understand and welcome where we’re going on this. This is a good Labour package, underpinned by good Labour values. We want parents to get the help they need without being forced into a legal fight with their council.

    “The school system has not kept up with the pace of change that children are experiencing in their lives. We utterly reject this narrative of ‘overdiagnosis’. That needs to be banished from the debate.”

    There are lingering concerns among Labour MPs on several issues, including whether parents will still have the right to make a legal appeal if they feel their child is not being properly supported.

    One said: “There is understandable anxiety amongst parents, but if the reforms as a whole look to promise a better system with enough time for a smooth transition, then I think MPs will recognise that.

    “Where I think the challenges may come is on the legal redress issue – if parents have enough confidence that they can hold schools and local authorities to account on the support they are supposed to be giving.”

    education educational Labour MPs Reforms secretaries Send Special urge
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleSuspect arrested after Caltech scientist fatally shot at his home outside LA | US universities
    Next Article UK clinical trial into puberty blockers on hold after medicines regulator steps in | Medical research
    onlyplanz_80y6mt
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Owner Wants to Give Away Green Mountain Campus

    February 20, 2026

    Mott Community College President Accused of Proselytizing

    February 20, 2026

    Amid Trump crackdown on Chinese students, one US university appears to block them altogether | US universities

    February 20, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Watch Lady Gaga’s Perform ‘Vanish Into You’ on ‘Colbert’

    September 9, 20251 Views

    Advertisers flock to Fox seeking an ‘audience of one’ — Donald Trump

    July 13, 20251 Views

    A Setback for Maine’s Free Community College Program

    June 19, 20251 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Latest Reviews

    At Chile’s Vera Rubin Observatory, Earth’s Largest Camera Surveys the Sky

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    SpaceX Starship Explodes Before Test Fire

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    How the L.A. Port got hit by Trump’s Tariffs

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

    Most Popular

    Watch Lady Gaga’s Perform ‘Vanish Into You’ on ‘Colbert’

    September 9, 20251 Views

    Advertisers flock to Fox seeking an ‘audience of one’ — Donald Trump

    July 13, 20251 Views

    A Setback for Maine’s Free Community College Program

    June 19, 20251 Views
    Our Picks

    I’m putting tech firms on notice: deal with the appalling abuse of women online – or we will deal with you | Keir Starmer

    Owner Wants to Give Away Green Mountain Campus

    NASA completes a critical test of Artemis II, with a launch to the moon now targeted for March 6

    Recent Posts
    • I’m putting tech firms on notice: deal with the appalling abuse of women online – or we will deal with you | Keir Starmer
    • Owner Wants to Give Away Green Mountain Campus
    • NASA completes a critical test of Artemis II, with a launch to the moon now targeted for March 6
    • UK clinical trial into puberty blockers on hold after medicines regulator steps in | Medical research
    • Five former education secretaries urge Labour MPs to back Send reforms | Special educational needs
    © 2026 naijaglobalnews. Designed by Pro.
    • About Us
    • Disclaimer
    • Get In Touch
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.