Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    France’s top film producer says it will blacklist figures who petitioned against rightwing billionaire | Movies

    Campaigners threaten legal action over UK-US deal on prices NHS pays for drugs | National Institute for Health and Care Excellence

    David Lammy promises 25% cut in number of children jailed while they await trial | UK criminal justice

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube LinkedIn
    Naija Global News |
    Monday, May 18
    • Business
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Education
    • Social Issues
    • Technology
    • More
      • Crime & Justice
      • Environment
      • Entertainment
    Naija Global News |
    You are at:Home»Social Issues»Nearly 2,000 Foreign Office jobs ‘at risk’, says PCS union | Civil service
    Social Issues

    Nearly 2,000 Foreign Office jobs ‘at risk’, says PCS union | Civil service

    onlyplanz_80y6mtBy onlyplanz_80y6mtOctober 18, 2025003 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Nearly 2,000 Foreign Office jobs ‘at risk’, says PCS union | Civil service
    News of the 1,885 jobs ‘at risk’ comes in addition to redundancy notices already sent to some senior civil servants. Photograph: Yui Mok/PA Media
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Almost 2,000 civil servants at the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office face the risk of redundancy, with the biggest union for government workers vowing to fight the cuts.

    The PCS union, which has about 200,000 members, said it had been told that 1,885 jobs at the second highest level, known as delegated grades, were “at risk”, in addition to redundancy notices that have already been issued to some senior civil servants.

    The union linked the cuts to the government’s decision to reduce the foreign aid budget and accused the department of failing to follow civil service protocol by putting a number on job cuts before consulting.

    The Foreign Office (FCDO) said it was reducing its headcount to make the department more agile, after its permanent secretary, Olly Robbins, said earlier in the year that the department planned to reduce the size of its workforce by up to 25% as part of wider civil service changes.

    The Cabinet Office has previously announced plans to lose tens of thousands of roles in the civil service, but most attempted cuts so far have been through not replacing staff and voluntary, rather than compulsory, redundancy programmes.

    The 1,885 jobs “at risk” at delegated grades come at the same time as the FCDO has been issuing redundancy notices to director generals who have been unsuccessful in securing a role in a newly restructured department. Their last day of service will be at the beginning of December.

    The PCS said it had “serious concerns” about how the reduction in director general posts has been handled, saying employers were supposed to go through a process called a redundancy mitigation review with the Cabinet Office and trade unions, offering voluntary redundancy before compulsory redundancy notices were issued. It said this did not happen because the voluntary programme closed before the restructure started.

    Fran Heathcote, the PCS general secretary, said: “We will strongly resist the FCDO’s plans to slash its UK-based workforce by up to 30%.

    “Our members have seen no justification for these cuts and have yet to be told what work has been deemed disposable by management. To add insult to injury, the government’s recent cuts to the overseas aid budget will not only lead to job losses and a loss of valuable expertise, but could cost hundreds of thousands of lives overseas.

    “If the FCDO is serious about delivering a safe, secure and prosperous Britain and wider world, it needs to listen to its own workers’ concerns about its job cuts programme.”

    skip past newsletter promotion

    Our morning email breaks down the key stories of the day, telling you what’s happening and why it matters

    Privacy Notice: Newsletters may contain information about charities, online ads, and content funded by outside parties. If you do not have an account, we will create a guest account for you on theguardian.com to send you this newsletter. You can complete full registration at any time. For more information about how we use your data see our Privacy Policy. We use Google reCaptcha to protect our website and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    after newsletter promotion

    An FCDO spokesperson told Civil Service World: “The FCDO is embarking on a series of changes over the next five years. This will include a headcount reduction as we move towards a slimmer, more agile workforce.

    “This is a key step in our reform programme to ensure that the FCDO is more open, more strategic and more technologically enabled, to deliver maximum security and growth for the British people.”

    civil foreign jobs office PCs risk Service Union
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleUVA the Fifth University to Reject Trump Higher Ed Compact
    Next Article ‘Boston Blue’ Bosses on Danny and Baez’s Future, on Recasting Sean for ‘Blue Bloods’ Spinoff
    onlyplanz_80y6mt
    • Website

    Related Posts

    ‘Research here is world class’: son of Steve Jobs looks to invest in UK cancer care | Venture capital

    May 16, 2026

    Antidepressants in pregnancy do not raise children’s risk of autism or ADHD, study finds | Pregnancy

    May 15, 2026

    Older people risk mental decline if they do long hours of caring, UK study shows | Carers

    May 12, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Watch Lady Gaga’s Perform ‘Vanish Into You’ on ‘Colbert’

    September 9, 20251 Views

    Advertisers flock to Fox seeking an ‘audience of one’ — Donald Trump

    July 13, 20251 Views

    A Setback for Maine’s Free Community College Program

    June 19, 20251 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Latest Reviews

    At Chile’s Vera Rubin Observatory, Earth’s Largest Camera Surveys the Sky

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    SpaceX Starship Explodes Before Test Fire

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    How the L.A. Port got hit by Trump’s Tariffs

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

    Most Popular

    Watch Lady Gaga’s Perform ‘Vanish Into You’ on ‘Colbert’

    September 9, 20251 Views

    Advertisers flock to Fox seeking an ‘audience of one’ — Donald Trump

    July 13, 20251 Views

    A Setback for Maine’s Free Community College Program

    June 19, 20251 Views
    Our Picks

    France’s top film producer says it will blacklist figures who petitioned against rightwing billionaire | Movies

    Campaigners threaten legal action over UK-US deal on prices NHS pays for drugs | National Institute for Health and Care Excellence

    David Lammy promises 25% cut in number of children jailed while they await trial | UK criminal justice

    Recent Posts
    • France’s top film producer says it will blacklist figures who petitioned against rightwing billionaire | Movies
    • Campaigners threaten legal action over UK-US deal on prices NHS pays for drugs | National Institute for Health and Care Excellence
    • David Lammy promises 25% cut in number of children jailed while they await trial | UK criminal justice
    • Illness narratives are broken – and they’re failing women like me | Emma Hardy
    • Cassidy Loses Primary After Drawing Trump’s Ire
    © 2026 naijaglobalnews. Designed by Pro.
    • About Us
    • Disclaimer
    • Get In Touch
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.