Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    The power struggle in the world’s narrow seas

    US curbs on travelers exposed to deadly viruses may infringe rights and deter volunteers | US news

    40,000 Ordered to Evacuate in California Amid Toxic Chemical Tank Crisis

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube LinkedIn
    Naija Global News |
    Sunday, May 24
    • Business
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Education
    • Social Issues
    • Technology
    • More
      • Crime & Justice
      • Environment
      • Entertainment
    Naija Global News |
    You are at:Home»Environment»Mystery ‘debris balls’ return to NSW beaches as residents warned to steer clear | Australia news
    Environment

    Mystery ‘debris balls’ return to NSW beaches as residents warned to steer clear | Australia news

    onlyplanz_80y6mtBy onlyplanz_80y6mtAugust 22, 2025003 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Mystery ‘debris balls’ return to NSW beaches as residents warned to steer clear | Australia news
    Debris balls have washed ashore at beaches across NSW, including at The Entrance, Grant McBride baths, Blue Bay, Toowoon Bay, North Shelly, Shelly beach and Blue Lagoon. Photograph: Central Coast Council
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Debris balls have again washed up along the New South Wales coast as officials warn residents not to touch the mysterious spherical globules and to avoid beaches where they appear.

    Central Coast council said on Thursday the debris balls – which are grey-coloured and about 10mm to 40mm in size – had been found on beaches including at The Entrance, the Grant McBride baths, Blue Bay, Toowoon Bay, North Shelly, Shelly and Blue Lagoon.

    Previous similar incidents were initially described as “tar balls” composed of crude oil. But testing coordinated with the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) revealed they were consistent with human-generated waste.

    Sign up: AU Breaking News email

    The EPA said a member of the public first reported the presence of debris balls at North Shelly dog beach early on Thursday morning.

    “Council confirmed the presence of debris balls and advised that all visible balls were cleared from the beach by mid-afternoon,” said a spokesperson.

    The council said it did not yet know what the new balls were made of, or if they were related to previous Sydney debris balls.

    “Debris balls washed ashore could be from a variety of sources or locations such as storm water, sewerage networks, ships from local or international locations,” it said. “Further inspections and safe clean-up are under way.”

    It has advised the public to avoid the beaches until further notice, to report any sightings and not to touch the debris. Environmental officers have collected samples to analyse their composition and origin and the incident has been reported to the NSW EPA.

    Nine beaches were shut to the public in Sydney in January – including Manly beach on the city’s north shore – after ball-shaped debris washed ashore. It followed sightings, and some temporary closures, on many of the city’s beaches after the balls started to appear from October 2024.

    In that month, thousands of black balls washed up on several eastern suburbs beaches including Bondi, Bronte, Coogee and Tamarama.

    Experts have said Sydney’s ageing sewerage system and a growing population were to blame. Sydney’s sewage is only given “primary” treatment at wastewater plants in Bondi, Malabar and North Head before it is flushed out to sea through “deepwater outfall” pipes that reach between 2km and 4km off the coast.

    Stuart Khan, head of engineering at the University of Sydney and chair of an expert panel set up by the EPA to investigate the phenomenon, said mysteries remained.

    “There are chemical markers that are pretty clearly human sewage-related, but how the system failed, how all of this greasy, fatty material was released at a particular time and a particular place is still not clear,” he said.

    Khan said the Central Coast balls could be a product of the Sydney sewage system, managed by water agency Sydney Water, but were more likely to have come from local storm water drains and sewers, which is managed by Central Coast council.

    He said the balls could be a result of sewage overflows into storm water during recent heavy rain. NSW has had one of its wettest Augusts on record in 2025.

    Chemical analysis could take up to two weeks. “But you don’t necessarily know that you’re going to find those same indicators this time, regardless of the source,” said Khan.

    Central Coast council and Sydney Water have been contacted for comment.

    Australia Balls beaches clear debris mystery news NSW residents Return steer warned
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleOpenAI lawyers question Meta’s role in Elon Musk’s $97B takeover bid 
    Next Article Au revoir to French: Spanish becomes most popular language GCSE | Languages
    onlyplanz_80y6mt
    • Website

    Related Posts

    US curbs on travelers exposed to deadly viruses may infringe rights and deter volunteers | US news

    May 24, 2026

    Why the fight over abortion pills is only just beginning – Stateside with Kai and Carter | US news

    May 21, 2026

    Paramount expresses support for CBS News leader Bari Weiss amid criticism | CBS

    May 19, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Watch Lady Gaga’s Perform ‘Vanish Into You’ on ‘Colbert’

    September 9, 20251 Views

    Advertisers flock to Fox seeking an ‘audience of one’ — Donald Trump

    July 13, 20251 Views

    A Setback for Maine’s Free Community College Program

    June 19, 20251 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Latest Reviews

    At Chile’s Vera Rubin Observatory, Earth’s Largest Camera Surveys the Sky

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    SpaceX Starship Explodes Before Test Fire

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    How the L.A. Port got hit by Trump’s Tariffs

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

    Most Popular

    Watch Lady Gaga’s Perform ‘Vanish Into You’ on ‘Colbert’

    September 9, 20251 Views

    Advertisers flock to Fox seeking an ‘audience of one’ — Donald Trump

    July 13, 20251 Views

    A Setback for Maine’s Free Community College Program

    June 19, 20251 Views
    Our Picks

    The power struggle in the world’s narrow seas

    US curbs on travelers exposed to deadly viruses may infringe rights and deter volunteers | US news

    40,000 Ordered to Evacuate in California Amid Toxic Chemical Tank Crisis

    Recent Posts
    • The power struggle in the world’s narrow seas
    • US curbs on travelers exposed to deadly viruses may infringe rights and deter volunteers | US news
    • 40,000 Ordered to Evacuate in California Amid Toxic Chemical Tank Crisis
    • Trump’s pick for surgeon general sells supplement with ingredient banned by Pentagon | Trump administration
    • Trump Says U.S. Close to Peace Agreement With Iran
    © 2026 naijaglobalnews. Designed by Pro.
    • About Us
    • Disclaimer
    • Get In Touch
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.