Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Workers racing to turn reflecting pool blue for Trump may be at risk, union warns | Washington DC

    Two-thirds of NHS nurses believe lack of staff is putting patients at risk, survey finds | Nursing

    France’s top film producer says it will blacklist figures who petitioned against rightwing billionaire | Movies

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube LinkedIn
    Naija Global News |
    Monday, May 18
    • Business
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Education
    • Social Issues
    • Technology
    • More
      • Crime & Justice
      • Environment
      • Entertainment
    Naija Global News |
    You are at:Home»Politics»Sexual violence surged amid war in DRC’s North Kivu last year: UN | Sexual Assault News
    Politics

    Sexual violence surged amid war in DRC’s North Kivu last year: UN | Sexual Assault News

    onlyplanz_80y6mtBy onlyplanz_80y6mtAugust 14, 2025003 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Sexual violence surged amid war in DRC’s North Kivu last year: UN | Sexual Assault News
    Members of the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (FARDC) deployed to fight M23 rebel militants attend trial on desertion, theft and rape charges at the Musienene military court, in DRC's North Kivu province, on February 26, 2025 [File: Gradel Muyisa Mumbere/Reuters]
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    A total of 22,000 cases registered in province in 2023; in first five months of 2024, figure had already reached 17,000.

    Healthcare providers in the war-torn eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) treated more than 17,000 victims of sexual violence over just five months last year, according to a United Nations report.

    UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres’s annual report on conflict-related sexual violence, released on Thursday, said the cases were registered in the province of North Kivu between January and May last year, as fighting between Congolese forces and Rwanda-backed M23 rebels intensified.

    “Many survivors sought care after violent sexual attacks, including penetration with objects, perpetrated by multiple perpetrators,” said the report, which charted crimes like rape, gang rape and sexual slavery.

    The conflict, which has killed thousands this year alone and displaced millions, is still ongoing despite a Qatar-mediated agreement between DRC and M23 last month that was supposed to pave the way to a ceasefire, running parallel to United States efforts to broker peace between Kinshasa and Kigali.

    Last year’s figure marked a continued surge in sexual violence as the Rwanda-backed M23 rampaged through the east, with a total of 22,000 cases registered throughout 2023. That figure was more than double the previous year’s tally.

    In 2023, the spike in violence occurred as the conflict spilled over from North Kivu into South Kivu, forcing UN peacekeeping mission MONUSCO to withdraw from the latter.

    The report said that MONUSCO’s operations narrowed, “owing to military operations and widespread insecurity”. The mission had documented 823 cases of sexual violence in 2024, affecting 416 women, 391 girls, seven boys and nine men.

    The UN said that 198 of last year’s cases were perpetrated by DRC “state actors”, including the army. It found that “M23 elements”, which “continued to receive instructions and support from the Rwanda Defence Force”, were implicated in 152 cases.

    According to the report, survivors reported that they were exposed to the threat of sexual violence while searching for food in the fields and areas around displacement sites.

    Many displaced women had resorted to prostitution to survive, “highlighting the nexus between food insecurity and sexual violence”.

    Denis Mukwege, who was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2018 for his work combating sexual violence in DRC, told The Times newspaper this year: “When you have people raping with complete immunity – and think they can go on and on without any consequence, nothing will change.”

    Guterres’s report charted violations in 21 countries, with the highest numbers recorded in DRC, the Central African Republic, Haiti, Somalia and South Sudan.

    While women and girls made up 92 percent of victims, men and boys were also targeted.

    assault DRCs Kivu news North sexual surged violence war year
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous ArticleWhat is Bluesky? Everything to know about the X competitor.
    Next Article Why Are Rabbits Sprouting Tentacles?
    onlyplanz_80y6mt
    • Website

    Related Posts

    CBS News insiders fear Bari Weiss will soon enact ‘massive changes’ to 60 Minutes | CBS

    May 16, 2026

    FDA turmoil deepens as top drug chief departs claiming she was fired | US news

    May 16, 2026

    Israel says it will sue New York Times over article on sexual abuse of Palestinian prisoners | Israel

    May 15, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Watch Lady Gaga’s Perform ‘Vanish Into You’ on ‘Colbert’

    September 9, 20251 Views

    Advertisers flock to Fox seeking an ‘audience of one’ — Donald Trump

    July 13, 20251 Views

    A Setback for Maine’s Free Community College Program

    June 19, 20251 Views
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    • WhatsApp
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    Latest Reviews

    At Chile’s Vera Rubin Observatory, Earth’s Largest Camera Surveys the Sky

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    SpaceX Starship Explodes Before Test Fire

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    How the L.A. Port got hit by Trump’s Tariffs

    By onlyplanz_80y6mtJune 19, 2025

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

    Most Popular

    Watch Lady Gaga’s Perform ‘Vanish Into You’ on ‘Colbert’

    September 9, 20251 Views

    Advertisers flock to Fox seeking an ‘audience of one’ — Donald Trump

    July 13, 20251 Views

    A Setback for Maine’s Free Community College Program

    June 19, 20251 Views
    Our Picks

    Workers racing to turn reflecting pool blue for Trump may be at risk, union warns | Washington DC

    Two-thirds of NHS nurses believe lack of staff is putting patients at risk, survey finds | Nursing

    France’s top film producer says it will blacklist figures who petitioned against rightwing billionaire | Movies

    Recent Posts
    • Workers racing to turn reflecting pool blue for Trump may be at risk, union warns | Washington DC
    • Two-thirds of NHS nurses believe lack of staff is putting patients at risk, survey finds | Nursing
    • France’s top film producer says it will blacklist figures who petitioned against rightwing billionaire | Movies
    • Campaigners threaten legal action over UK-US deal on prices NHS pays for drugs | National Institute for Health and Care Excellence
    • David Lammy promises 25% cut in number of children jailed while they await trial | UK criminal justice
    © 2026 naijaglobalnews. Designed by Pro.
    • About Us
    • Disclaimer
    • Get In Touch
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.